The American Association of Orthodontists recommends visiting an orthodontist around age seven when children have a mix of baby and adult teeth. Early treatment can:
- Guide jaw growth for straight permanent teeth
- Regulate upper and lower arch width
- Create space for crowded teeth
- Prevent future permanent tooth extractions
- Correct thumb-sucking and minor speech issues
Parents should watch for signs like early/late baby tooth loss, chewing difficulties, mouth breathing, thumb sucking, misaligned teeth, jaw issues, or crowded front teeth around age seven or eight. Schedule an evaluation for your child now to ensure a healthy, beautiful smile in the future.